A look at the history, use, and misuse of the calorie.
TIL from this article:
- Some people have small intestines that are up to 50% longer than others, which makes them 50% better at digesting food!
- Cold toast has fewer (usable) calories than hot toast.
- Coconut oil reduces the caloric content of rice.
- Reheated pasta/rice/potatoes/bread have fewer calories than fresh pasta/rice/potatoes/bread.
- The Chinese thing about not drinking cold water is actually kind of correct? Although for exactly the opposite reason.1
Tl;dr everything you know about food science is wrong.
- Drinking very cold water doesn’t “slow down” you organs; it apparently makes you body burn more calories to try and keep your core temperature stable. Which I guess could be a problem if you lived somewhere/-when where food scarcity was an issue, e.g. if you were a Ye Oldene Timese Chinese peasant. [↩]