This medieval fantasy city generator is very Relevant to My Interests…
Given that I don’t play the sort of “parkour action console game” that’s apparently So Hot Right Now,1 I managed to not notice that, well, everything is kind of the same nowadays. On the other hand, I do remember back in the mid 2000s when Every Game Was World of Warcraft,2 so I guess this is kind of just the rinse-repeat of that.
So after flunking out of Monster Hunter: World the other day, I decided to give Black Desert Online another shot.
I’d played it before briefly on my old computer, which didn’t handle the graphics well and consequent made the combat too annoying. But I have a new computer now, and I reinstalled it, and… I’m really enjoying it?
- Really obnoxiously pretty (and fanservicey!) characters in the character creator.
- Combat is pretty fun, even for noobs like me who aren’t great at that “action combo buttons” style of play.
- Interesting zone mechanics around exploration and unlocking content. (Talking to NPCs actually matters!)
- Cities actually feel alive and populated, even in lowbie zones.
- Anime Nazis… anime fucking Nazis every fucking where.
- Like I’m not even kidding the first zone I was playing in was controlled by a guild whose Pepe the Frog fucking avatar was slapped on every guard in the city.
- I turned off all chat and nameplates and play like it’s an offline RPG makes the experience much better A++ would recommend.
- Can only be a human.
My little Wizard girl now has a little Monk boy to hold hands with!
I am… really enjoying Ragnarök M, which I should totally post about at some point properly. The game is just really fun, super addictive, and well-engineered for mobile but, more than that, being able to run multiple instances of it in Android emulators on my PC gives me massive, massive university flashbacks, where we used to mass-bot accounts in the original Ragnarök Online.1
I do find it kind of amusing that apparently Gravity took the architectural decision with their mobile game to, “Make it like people used to play RO. Y’know. With AFK botting.” but… I’m into it.
- This ironically means I now… don’t play it on my phone. Which… go figure? I should really roll up that third account… ↝